Some time ago, I had a PC in my hands that used to start 5 minutes full! Usually in these cases I immediately think of formatting, which could be the fastest "solution". But when the PC in question is a PC used to work with a dozen software and more than 100 GB between documents, files and videos or you create another partition or copy all the files to an external hard drive and then copy them again. Not to mention having to reinstall all the software, which is torture! Looking a little on the net, I found a good tool that in less than an hour literally transformed the PC (just over a minute for the complete startup). It is about Wise Care, a software available in free and pro version, able to clean superfluous files, registry files, defragment the disks, choose the programs to start when Windows starts and more that we will see in the article.
Download Wise Care 365 from the link at the bottom of the article and install it, start it as an administrator (right click, run as administrator) and in the first screen you will find superfluous files, errors in the register, traces detected
and the Check Now button to check for errors. Press it and you will get a screen like this
The analyzed elements will be divided into categories: superfluous files in the PC, invalid registry entries, browsing histories and so on. It is possible to view the details for each category and solve-delete the superfluous files and errors individually or have it done automatically by pressing the "Repair now" button.
Let's move on to theOptimization using the key at the top, and analyzing the instruments (visible on the left)
- System optimization: the options on this screen certainly depend on the Windows edition and the active effects. In fact, it is possible to deactivate some effects to improve PC performance or enable the cache for the icons as in my case. The options you will see on your PC may be different
- Defragment disks: certainly does not need a description, but for the uninitiated, it is a tool that has existed in Windows for years now and serves to "sort" the files in the PC disks. Fragmentation is recommended at least once a month.
- Registry defragmentation: rearrange the registry files, improving PC response time. It is a bit more "dangerous" as a damaged registry key can cause serious problems. Wise care, however, gives suggestions, like closing all applications, not interrupting the process, etc. By following these tips to the letter you should have no problems, as I have never had any problems myself.
- Running at startup: here, as an alternative to the Windows application, we can choose which services and programs to start with Windows. Obviously the choice will be personal, it will be up to you to decide what is important to start when Windows starts and what is not. Unfortunately, there is no option for a delayed start. If you want advice, order the services / programs for start-up time and see which one takes the most
- Right click menu: I don't know what it is precisely, it is a tool that can be activated in the pro version (which of course I don't have) and probably will modify the right-click menu with the applications we prefer (maybe).
- Registry cleaning: finds problems in the Windows registry and cleans them. Not to be confused with defragmentation
- Normal cleaning: it scans the system, cache, history, applications, etc and allows you to clean unnecessary files. It is possible to choose carefully which files to analyze / clean and which not.
- Advanced cleaning: you have to choose the disks to be scanned and in less than no time all the temporary files that consume only useless space will be found.
- Streamlining: here you can find elements of Windows that are not necessary as languages, files created during installation (and never used again), backgrounds, etc.
- Big File Manager: the tool available in pro version to find large files
Moving on to privacy protection, we can see, under the same name, a tool available only in the paid version that shows us the files that are at risk from prying eyes. The route is still displayed, so we can also act manually
- Disc reclamation: it is an operation that takes some time, but able to recover a lot of space from our disks. It is possible to set the security on 4 different types from the recommended one (1 passage) up to Guttman which consists in 35 steps. Obviously more passes will take longer
- Destroy files: one of the tools I love most. For the uninitiated, when a file is deleted, it seems that the file is no longer traceable, and in fact it is so if we do a trivial search on the disks. But with some programs it is possible to recover each deleted file, both on the PC and on any other storage device. The only way to permanently delete a file is to overwrite the file itself and this is what this tool will do.
- Generate password: another useful tool for managing accounts with valuable information. In fact this tool generates passwords from 4 to 30 characters with upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols
Here you find all the other Wise applications, which I have not tried personally, to download separately. To name a few: Wise Auto Shutdown to shut down the PC automatically; Wise Folder Hider to hide and protect folders with password; Wise Game Booster which should guarantee better gaming performance and many more that you find in the link below along with the download of Wise Care 365.
Please note: at the end of the optimizations, when the PC restarts, a popup will appear that will notify you of the total boot speed. To disable this notification, simply deactivate the service with msconfig or from Wise Care itself.
Unfortunately, WIndows is a system that tends to slow down over time, but with good maintenance and an eye on it is possible to avoid or limit the drop in performance. As for my experience (not that I'm an expert) you need to have some, and trivial, concerns:
- during program installation, you are often asked if we want to install other applications, such as browser bars or other programs. Usually we click "Yes" on everything, without even knowing what we are accepting and then we find ourselves with useless programs. So first of all you have to download the programs always from the proprietary sites (when possible), pay attention to what they ask us and finally check if the program has been added to Windows automatically.
- defragment the Windows partition at least once a month
- have a secondary partition for important data (you never know)
- turn off visual effects. On PCs with older hardware it can make the difference
- use only one antivirus. It may seem silly but I've seen PCs with more antivirus
If you have any other advice, I gladly accept them and hope the guide has been helpful
Download | Link