It's been a week since I tried it and today I decided to do a brief installation guide hoping to brighten up the day for all Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 owners: here is the first AOSP ROM running at 100%!
Why switch to AOSP when the MIUI is full of features and has attractive graphics? The answers can be very varied, I personally chose to put this ROM in the first place to "change the air" (since I really appreciate the minimal style of the latest Android releases), secondly because I needed a little more stability : mind you, the MIUI is stable enough for everyday use, but sometimes you find those really annoying bugs that make you think "I fool that I went to get a phone from China", in my case the bugs concerned the microphone not working (we talk about software bugs obviously), force close and random reboot.
If you also feel the need to try this ROM I can assure you that you will not be disappointed! Just to tease the modder that is within you list some of the most important features:
- Pure AOSP graphics on Android Lollipop 5.0.2
- Google Apps pre-installed
- Enabled root permissions
- Optimized and amplified sounds throughout the system thanks to the "Dolby Atmos" mod
- Xposed Framework pre-installed (you will choose whether to use it or not)
- ClearMotion and Miravision kindly offered by Sony in order to fully enjoy our full HD screen
- You will discover the rest only if you try it 😉
Let's move on to the installation instructions, for you lucky (like me) that you have the bootloader unlocked the procedure is the simplest:
- It is essential, before proceeding, to perform a nandroid backup!
- Download the zip file from here
- Restart in recovery using a dedicated app, such as this (needless to remind you that the requirement is root rights)
- From recovery: press the "buttonWipe"And make a"factory reset"
- Return to the main screen and press the "install"Then select the previously downloaded zip file and make the so-called"swype to install"
- At this point we only have to wait for the end of the procedure (2 / 3 maximum minutes) and then restart the device and enjoy the "renewed" interface!
The first start can take up to 5 minutes
I imagine someone is wondering: Can I install this ROM even if I have the bootloader blocked? The answer is: of course yes! The procedure will delete all the data on your device, I am going to explain it to you:
- Arm yourself with a PC (better if equipped with Win8 or higher) and download the installation file from here if you want the version with Xposed Framework or from here if you prefer to do without it; in the file you are going to download there will be both the ROM and the Tool to be used for installation, if you have previously read our article | [GUIDE] Restore original ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 | you will not have any problems, otherwise I invite you to quickly read the guide above so as to proceed more easily.
- Unpack the zip file you just downloaded into a folder of your choice and run the executable "sp flashtool”With administrator rights
- Position yourself on the "download tab"And click on the item"Download Agent", A screen will open: from there you simply need to look for (in the SP Flash folder) the file named"DA_SWSEC.bin"And then click on"open"
- We are well under way, now it's time to click on the "Scatter loading", As usual a new window will open from which you will have to go to the folder"images"(Obviously contained in the file you previously unzipped), well: find the file"MT6795_Android_Scatter.txt"And open it!
- We are almost ready for installation: before continuing you will have to uncheck the item "preloader"On the main screen, this is an important point, if you skip it you run the risk of bricking the device, therefore for the avoidance of doubt I attach a screen:
- Let us look away from the PC for a moment and concentrate on the phone: turn it off
- We take the USB cable and connect it to the USB port of the PC but is not on the telephone
- Let's go back to SP Flash and press the green button "Download"
- We press (on the phone) the key volume - e let's hold it; while we hold the key volume - we connect the USB cable to the phone
At this point we will notice that something is moving on the PC screen: it is the SP Flash progress bar that helps us understand if everything is going well (when the bar turns yellow you can stop holding the volume key -). At the end of the procedure the progress bar will become green and we will confirm the success of the operation with a green check: that will be the moment when we can remove the USB cable and turn on the device.
Obviously also in this case the first start will be longer than normal and could take up to 10 minutes.
Here we are at the end of the guide! I leave you some small personal considerations: the ROM is really very good and during everyday use it holds up stress well (perhaps even better than MIUI), I particularly appreciated the power of the audio (both on call and on call) another way what compared to the stock; however, there are fewer bugs that are noticed: some items of the settings in English, at each reboot at the first unlocking the fingerprint does not work and the status bar sometimes lagga during the appearance / disappearance, nothing unbearable!
The staff of InTheBit does not assume any responsibility in case of malfunctions or loss of data, in most cases these operations are safe but remember that what you do is your responsibility 😉
I thank the user Pocarropa who developed the ROM and put it at our disposal, for further information I refer you to the official forum MIUI in English.