The Nandroid Backup is a function already implemented in the recovery ClockWork which allows you to create a complete image of our ROM keeping all our personal settings.
unlike other backups achievable through the various apps that we find in the playstore, the Nandroid Backup is unique for its functionality: if for example we wanted to try a new ROM on our terminal we could not "digest" the idea of losing all the work done on our stable ROM that we use for a long time, to venture into the flash of a new ROM that could have various bugs or other problems, it is precisely in these cases that we will appreciate the powerful tool made available by the clockwork, which will allow us to flash the old ROM finding it exactly as we had left it.
the only one requirement is to have installed the ClockWork recovery in our phone, if you have a Nexus 4 you can read the our article for its installation.
Let's see step by step how create a Nandroid Backup:
- Enter Recovery through the specific key combination for our terminal (let's move between the various recovery options through the volume rocker and select with the power button)
- select the item "Backup and Restore"
- select now "Backup"
- we wait for the backup to finish (this operation could take several minutes, so make sure you have a good level of battery power)
- once the backup is finished we can exit recovery by selecting the "Reboot system now"
We check the actual existence of the backup by searching for it through a File Manager in the folder "/ Sdcard / clockworkmod / backup / " the backup will be named with the date and time it was created.
NB. if we use a nexus 4 we will find our backup in the folder "/ data / media / clockworkmod / backup ".
Keep our Backup not only in the phone memory, but also make a copy on other storage devices both physical and Cloud so as to ensure that even in the case of formatting the SD this is not lost.
To restore our ROM via the Nandroid Backup:
- make sure that the Backup file exists in the "/ Sdcard / clockworkmod / backup / " if we use Nexus 4 "/ data / media / clockworkmod / backup "
- enter Clockwork Recovery
- to select "backup and restore"
- select now "restore"And wait for the operation to finish
- restart the phone via the "Reboot system now"
if we wanted to restore the Backup after installing a new ROM: Perform all the WIPE needed to flash a new ROM (wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvnik cache) and then restore the nandroid backup.