In this article we will see how to get i root privileges and how to install the latest version of the famous recovery clockworkmod on the Nexus 4 equipped with the new Android Kitkat version: to do this we will use the famous tool, Android Platform-tool which is integrated into Android SDK (a set of tools provided by Google for developers) downloadable from his official page.
ADB DRIVER INSTALLATION
Before starting we will have to make sure that our Nexus 4 is correctly recognized by the PC through the ADB drivers, to perform this verification (on Windows 7):
- enable USB Debugging in the Nexus 4: Settings -> Developer option -> Debug USB
- connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable and wait for the driver installation
- bring us in Device Manager on Windows: Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Device management
- on the screen that appears, verify that the phone is recognized as “Android Composite ADB Interface "
if you had previously installed the ADB drivers and therefore your phone is correctly recognized you can go to the next step of the guide, otherwise read below to install the correct usb drivers:
without the ADB drivers our device will probably be recognized as shown in the image:
- Download the Drivers ADB | Download in English
- Extract the .zip file containing the drivers
- connect the Nexus 4 to the PC with the USB debug enabled
- go to the Device Manager on Windows and right-click on the Nexus 4 item as shown in the previous photo, and select “Software Driver Update"
- select Look for the driver software on the computer and in the next screen we insert the correct path to the previously extracted folder containing the drivers making sure to tick the box "Include sub-folders"
- once the installation is finished we check again the drivers in use in the Device Manager, you will no longer find the Nexus 4 entry but Android Composite ADB Interface, now we move on to the next point.
ATTENTION THIS GUIDE CAUSES THE LOSS OF ALL YOUR DATA, IT IS RECOMMENDED TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING - I DO NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR TERMINALS ARISING FROM THE USE OF THIS GUIDE
INSTALLATION CLOCKWORKMOD and ROOT
- If you haven't done it yet, download Android SDK | Download in English
- Download the latest version of the Clockworkmod 18.104.22.168 | Download in English
- Download the .zip file of Root permissions | Download SuperSU
first transfer the .zip file of the root permissions to a folder inside the Nexus 4, for example the download folder (it will be flashed later by Recovery, now inserting the SuperSU file in the phone memory we will save a subsequent reboot).
NB: The following procedure is specific to windows, for other operating systems the commands from the terminal vary slightly
- Extract the file zip of Android SDK in a folder of your choice in your PC for example in the desktop: a folder called will be extracted adt-bundle [version-windows-linux-mac]
- copy the file of recovery .img downloaded previously in the subfolder platform-tools. The platform-tool folder is a sub-folder of the one extracted from the previous point, specifically: adt-bundle -> sdk -> platform-tools
- Start the windows terminal: just write "cmd"Inside the search box of the start menu
- let's move through the terminal inside the platform-tool folder, to do this we write: cd [path-to-platform-tool-folder] in our example then the command will be:
- Connect the Nexus 4 to the PC, with the USB Debug active, a few moments after the connection, the display will prompt us that adb tries to connect to the phone: we accept the request
- we verify that adb sees the phone by entering the command in the terminal: adb devices (should show an identification number of the device as in the following image)
- now we restart the phone in bottloader mode with this command:
adb reboot bootloader
- we unlock the boot loader (be careful with this command you will lose all your data from the phone):
fastboot oem unlock
- restart the bootloader again with:
adb reboot bootloader
- now we install the recovery with the following command: fastboot flash recovery [name-recovery.img] which in our example translates to:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-mako.img
- and restart the bootloader again:
adb reboot bootloader
- after the installation, from the terminal we can remove the phone from usb. From the bootloader screen in the phone let's move between the various options via the volume rocker to select the recovery mode and confirm the choice with the power button.
We will finally see the Clockworkmod Recovery start!
- Dto Clockworkmod Recovery select “install zip -> choose zip from / sdcard -> 0 / -> Download / -> select the SuperSU zip file
if you have copied the root permission file to a folder other than Download, obviously select the file to find the file.
now we have finished, our nexus 4 has enabled root permissions and a Custom Recovery!