In this guide we will see how to revive the Samsung S4 Mini thanks to one of the most popular and used custom ROMs, or CyanogenMod 13 official, based on the latest version of Android, that is Android Marshallow 6. I analyzed for about a month the potential of CM 13 on the smartphone of a friend and I can say that, thanks to Android 6 Marshmallow, its Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini has achieved excellent fluidity, good performance and - after all - a good battery life compared to the proprietary ROM TouchWiz. So, without getting lost in talk, let's go and see how to do it install Android 6 Marshmallow on the Samsung S4 Mini.
CAUTION: By following this guide you will lose the guarantee. Furthermore, this process may damage your smartphone. InTheBit assumes no responsibility.
Guide: how to install Android 6 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190 or GT-I9195
The installation of a custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is very simple and this guide is valid both for the variant GT-I9190 for both GT-I9195. It is not required unlocking the bootloader, as it is not locked, so all you have to do is: flash a custom recovery via Odin and installation of the new ROM via recovery, in this case the CyanogenMod 13; the procedure applies to any other ROM.
It is necessary that the battery has a good percentage of charge, moreover it is necessary the USB cable (preferably original) and the following files to download on your PC:
- Odin | Download in English
- Recovery CWM Samsung S4 Mini | Download in English
- CyanogenMod ROM Samsung S4 Mini GT-I9190 | Download in English
- CyanogenMod ROM Samsung S4 Mini GT-I9195 | Download in English
- GApps Android 6 | Download in English (discharged pico, nano or micro due to size)
The ROM must be chosen based on the model of your smartphone, visible in Info on the phone in Settings.
Flash CWM on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
First you need to unpack both Odin and CWM recovery. Inside the first you will find the executable ready to use, without installation. The interface will look something like this:
Inside the recovery archive, instead, you will find a file with the extension ".tar", extract it in a folder, you will need it later. Now that everything is ready, here's what you need to do to install the recovery:
- Turn off the Samsung S4 Mini and start it in Download Mode, using the key combination: Volume down + Home + Power
- Start Odin, then connect the phone to the PC and wait for the driver installation
- As soon as the phone is recognized, the box shown in the following photo will turn blue
- Now you need to press the button AP and choose the path where the CWM recovery was extracted
- Finally press Start and wait for the end of the flash; on Odin the first box will turn green and show "PASS", while the Galaxy S4 Mini will restart.
Note: now we're going to install CyanogenMod, it is recommended to create a Nandroid Backup, useful if the installation of the ROM was not successful.
Installation CyanogenMod 13 Samsung S4 Mini
Now that we have our custom recovery, we can finally flash a new ROM. I chose the CyanogenMod 13 because it supports officially il Samsung S4 Mini, is based on Marshmallow and has not given much trouble; has completely transformed a device that now seemed to be scrapped!
The procedure to install Android 6 on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is very simple and of course you will lose all device data, excluding media:
- Copy the ROM and GApps on the device (as you downloaded them, with the ".zip" extension)
- reboot the phone in recovery mode. When switched off, switch it on with the following key combination: Volume up + Home + Power
- move through the volume rocker on the voice Wipe data / factory reset and select it with the Home button, then confirm
- at the end go back and select Install zip from sdcard, then select the path where you copied the ROM and confirm
- the same procedure must be repeated for the GApps
- At the end select the item Reboot system now and wait for the start
Done! The first start can take several minutes, so wait. The ROM may have some minor bugs as it is still one Nightly. This means that every day you will receive a new update, which I do not recommend downloading unless you encounter problems in the installed version. Wait for the versions instead Snapshot and finally that Stable.
The camera works pretty well and the battery even reaches the 3 hours of screen, as you can see from the following screens (original battery, 2 years of life). If you want more information, curiosity or clarifications, use the comments (I also made the rhyme).