After theXiaomi's announcement regarding Brick's risk, in the case of a transition from ROM MIUI China to ROM Global, we are going to see the list of officially interested terminals if they were destined exclusively for the Chinese market.
We remember that the risk of irreversible Brick exists only if the devices have the Bootloader blocked and if, in this case, we try to change ROM. This risk does not extend to all Xiaomi smartphones, but only to the latest, unlabeled Global devices. Finally, the danger of bricks also exists with the Mi Flash tool, but we'll see later.
- Xiaomi: list of brick risk smartphones
- How to change ROM avoiding the brick
- What happens when switching from one ROM to another with a locked bootloader?
- Where to buy Xiaomi smartphone?
Below is the list with all Xiaomi smartphones that risk the brick, with its code name
- Xiaomi Mi 6X ( "Wayne")
- Xiaomi Mi 8 ( "Dipper")
- Xiaomi Mi 8 EE ( "Ursa")
- Xiaomi Mi 8 SE ( "Sirius")
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite ( "Plate")
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro ( "Equuleus")
- Xiaomi Mi Max 3 ( "Nitrogen")
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S ( "Polaris")
- Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 / Mi Pad 4 Plus ( "Clover")
- Xiaomi Poco F1 / Pocophone F1 ( "Beryllium")
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A ( "UGG")
- Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite ( "Ugglite")
- Xiaomi Redmi Y2 / Redmi S2 ( "YSL")
- Xiaomi Redmire 5 ( "Rosy")
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A ("shore")
- Xiaomi Redmire 6 ( "Cereus")
- Xiaomi Redmi 6A ("cactus")
- Xiaomi Redmire 6 Pro ("Sakura" and "sakura_india")
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus ( "Win")
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro / Redmi Note 5 AI ( "Whyred")
- Redmire Xiaomi Note Pro 6 ( "Tulip")
If you have a smartphone in this list, the best way to change ROM is the classic unlocking of the bootloader and flash of the TWRP custom Recovery.
So you can easily switch from one ROM to another or flash other custom ROMs without any risk of bricks (read: which ROM to choose for Xiaomi?). If you prefer, you can also use the official Xiaomi tool, We Flash, but here you have to pay attention. The tool has several flash options: clean all, save user data e clean all and lock. Before flashing the ROM, you must ensure that the first option is checked; the third (clear all and lock), in fact, after the flash will block the bootloader again, causing irreversible bricking.
Otherwise, that is, with bootloader blocked, after switching from one ROM to another you will find yourself literally stuck in MI Recovery with the following message: This MIUI version can't be installed on this device.
In this case, to date, no tools (including Mi Flash) will be able to resurrect your smartphone! THE'only way to recover the device is the EDL mode (Emergency Download Mode), which unfortunately was blocked by Xiaomi, and therefore it will be necessary to contact an authorized Xiaomi center.
Recently, Xiaomi has also arrived in Italy and although prices are not in line with those online, in physical stores it is now easy to find Xiaomi devices. Just to name a few: MediaWorld, Carrefour, Coop, Esselunga, Trony, Auchan and many others, in addition to the two authorized centers in Milan. Online, however, you can buy on Unieuro, Euronics, Expert and obviously Amazon (in Telegram channel dedicated you will find all the offers).
As for the import from China, instead, we must pay attention to the installed ROM. If you have the official Global ROM, we are not at risk. It is usually clearly visible on the smartphone box. However, some retailers are clever, installing ROMs that are not common; in this case the price is much lower than the normal price. So pay attention to the super offers and check the page carefully before buying, looking for information on locked / unlocked bootloaders, OTA updates, etc.
In the event of uncertainty, you can easily ask in our Telegram group, where we will try to clarify all your doubts!