Despite all the recent blocks from Xiaomi, switch from MIUI China to MIUI Global (or other ROMs) on Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 it's not complicated at all. First of all we specify that Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 is not affected by anti-rollback and this allows you to downgrade the ROM without any risk. The only limit therefore is the transition from ROM China to Global (and vice versa) without unlocking the bootloader. In this case you would end up with a nice paperweight from 218 grams marked Xiaomi.
To make the change from MIUI China to MIUI Global it is therefore necessary:
- A PC (better a Notebook)
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 with charged battery and original USB cable
- ADB Driver
- Xiaomi account configured on your 3 Mix
- Unlock the bootloader
- Install a custom recovery (TWRP in this case)
- Flash the ROM
- Flash the GApps (optional)
- Flash the region fix
In short, the usual steps that by now you will all know and apply to all Xiaomi smartphones (excluding flash files). For those who still didn't know how to do it, here is the detailed guide to install any MIUI ROM or not.
- Unblocking the bootloader will restore the factory data, eliminating everything from your phone. It is recommended to make a backup before starting.
- Switching from MIUI China to MIUI Global (or vice versa) without unlocking the bootloader (or blocking it later) will irrevocably damage your device. Leaving it unlocked there is no risk, indeed it will be an extra guarantee to "save" your device from any problems.
- The reader is solely responsible for any damage to his device. However with minimal knowledge, common sense and following the guide carefully (tested) you will not encounter any problem. For any doubts you can use comments
Before starting we install the necessary on the PC. If you have never done it, install first adb using the quick tool, answering with Y each question. The tool will be used later to communicate the PC and the smartphone, so as to flash the custom recovery.
Install the tool Xiaomi Flash Unlock which will be used later to unlock the bootloader on our Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
If the link does not work, download it from miui.com via this link. At the end of the download, extract the files and you will find the executable in the extracted folder: miflash_unlock.exe.
After the PC, we switch to the smartphone and enable it to unlock the bootloader by following these simple steps
- Go to Settings -> My device -> All specs
- Quickly click 7 times up MIUI version to enable the Developer Options (Developer Settings).
- Go now to Settings -> System Device -> Additional Settings -> Developer Options
- Enable the 2 options OEM unlocking e USB debugging as in the following images
How to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
With the first attempt nothing will happen, but it will help to ask Xiaomi for permission, for which they will serve up to 72 hours. Pass the 72 hours you can finally unblock the bootloader via Xiaomi Flash Unlock in the following way:
- A backup is recommended before starting
- Turn off your Xiaomi
- Enter fastboot mode by holding down the Volume- and Power button simultaneously
- Connect the phone to the PC
- Start Mi Flash Unlock
- Accept the disclaimer and log in with your Xiaomi account
- Start the release procedure by accepting both warnings
The procedure will take a few seconds, after which your 3 Mix will reboot automatically, using up to 5 minutes to power on. At the end, a message in Chinese will warn you that the device is linked to a Xiaomi account, so log in and turn off the phone again.
- You can translate the Chinese warning with the help of another smartphone and Google Translate, taking a photo of the text.
- If the keyboard does not come out while entering the password, use an open WiFi network.
How to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
In order to install a custom ROM or the MIUI 10 Global on 3 Mix, it is necessary to flash a custom recovery first and in this case the TWRP.
- Go to This Page to download the recovery of your smartphone and search for it using the codename of your device. In our case the code name of Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 is Perseus.
- Download the file with the .img extension and copy it to a folder; rename it to "twrp.img" (without quotes) to simplify the operation
- With the phone switched off, switch it to fastboot mode using the combination of the volume + and power keys.
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via USB cable
- Go to the folder where you copied the recovery and start the shell: keeping the shift key pressed click with the right key mouse in an empty part of the folder and select "open PowerShell window here"
- Use the following command to verify that the PC and smartphone communicate without problems
If everything is ok, the shell returns a series of numbers followed by the text "fastboot"; otherwise you need to reinstall the drivers.
- If the phone has been recognized, you can proceed with the recovery flash via the following command
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
(where twrp.img is the name of the recovery)
- The flash will take a few moments. At the end, to prevent the I recovered replace the twrp, restart the smartphone in recovery mode Manually with the combination of the volume + and power keys
How to translate TWRP from Chinese to English
If everything went the right way, at startup you will find the TWRP recovery in Chinese language. You can only translate it into English in 3 simple steps:
- Tap on the third last button
- tap on the last icon at the top
- select English
Now that the worst is over we can finally proceed with the installation of MIUI Global, MIUI from Xiaomi.eu or any other custom ROM.Return to index ↑
How to install MIUI 10 Global on Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
First you need the files to install. In this case we will see with the MIUI 10 Global official but the procedure is almost identical for all ROMs.
You may be interested
Some of these need GApps, ie Google apps (Play Store, services, Gmail, YouTube, etc). You find them at this link. The official MIUI 10 Global are already present. To install the MIUI 10 Global, download the ROM and the region fix from the following links on your PC.
After that, from the TWRP recovery follow the steps below
- Plug Wipe e Format Data.
- Confirm by writing Yes to format your Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
- Restart in recovery via the Reboot -> Reboot Recovery item
- Connect the phone to the PC and transfer the ROM and fix to the smartphone
- Means install choose the ROM and confirm the installation. At the end tap on Wipe cache / dalvik
- Go back and with the same procedure install the Region Fix. At the end tap on Wipe cache / dalvik
- Finally Reboot System to restart the phone
The first start will take several minutes and at the end you will notice a message saying "This device is locked". Connect to a WiFi network, authenticate yourself with the Xiaomi account and after the configuration you will finally have the Global ROM with Italian language, Play Store and Google Assistant on the AI button! From the searched region settings and select Italy (or Hong Kong) to use face unlocking.
- It is important to flash the region fix at every ROM update, otherwise you would only find China region at startup and your 3 Mix may continue to reboot
- To date the TWRP after the MIUI 10 Global flash is again replaced by Recovery Mi, however the ROM remains and works without any problems. I will update the guide as soon as a fix is available
- The region fix is only necessary with MIUI Global, while with other ROMs it is sufficient to flash the ROM and, if necessary, the GApps; unless explicitly requested by the developer.
- DO NOT LOCK THE BOOTLOADER!
Custom ROM currently available for Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
- MIUI 10 by Xiaomi.eu
- Pixel Experience
- ROM, Kernel and recovery available and in development for Mi Mix 3
Do you need help? Use the comments or join the Facebook group dedicated to Xiaomi Mi Mix 3